East TN Law Enforcement Liaison
For Tennessee Law Enforcement:
- To identify individuals whose lives are saved or injuries significantly reduced because they were wearing a safety belt or protected by an air bag and a safety belt at the time of a crash.
- To provide documented evidence of cases where safety belts and other occupant protection devices “made the difference”
- To reinforce the life-saving importance of occupant protection for individuals involved in motor vehicle crashes and encourage others to use them.
- To increase Tennessee public awareness on the benefits of use of safety belts, air bags and child safety seats.
Persons who are eligible for receiving the certificate(s) must meet all of the following criteria:
- Nominee must be a Tennessee resident.
- Any person and/or their spouse and children involved in a motor vehicle crash whose lives were saved or injuries reduced because of the use of a safety restraint or air bag and safety belt.
- The crash occurred after December 31, 2007 to present.
- Nominees must be using the proper combination of safety restraints. For example, safety belts were properly used in vehicles equipped with an airbag; use of the manual lap belt is required with some automatic belt systems; child nominees who are required to be restrained by a child safety seat must be properly secured in the child restraint and the restraint must be properly secured in the vehicle by a safety belt.
- Nominees may not be the driver of the “at-fault” vehicle; i.e., if the crash review finds the crash could have been prevented the nominee will NOT qualify.
Each entry will be reviewed using the following criteria:
- Severity of crash.
- Severity of injuries/condition.
- Circumstances surrounding the crash .
- After full review, The Tennessee “Saved By The Belt” Committee reserves the right not to grant the presentation of the certificate(s) .
Nominees agree to allow the use of their name and crash information in promotional activities for the “Saved By The Belt” program. Nominees release the Tennessee Department of Transportation, Department of Safety and its representatives from any obligation or liability associated with the certificate(s) and subsequent promotions of this program.